Q: How are plans unfolding for Rabbi Harari’s farewell on Friday, June 14?
- We are planning a special evening that weaves together a Kabbalat Shabbat service, music with Chavurat HaShir, and a warm reception.
- Invitations to follow in May. Anyone who would like to help with the planning or contribute with a donation is invited to please contact Sheila Bailin at 780-455-3162.
Q: Where are we at with Rabbinic candidate interviews for High Holy Days and the upcoming year of transition?
- We interviewed nine candidates and short-listed three. Each of these short-listed individuals would bring unique strengths. We are looking for the best match.
- Our whole Rabbinic Services Committee along with members of the board and other leaders will have an opportunity for a follow-up conversation with the three candidates on Sunday, April 21. We anticipate making an offer during the week of April 21.
- The initial offer will be for High Holy Days. In the first round of interviews, we asked about the possibility of continuing visits through our year of transition and would pursue that conversation after the High Holy Days.
Q. How do the congregational dialogues connect with this process?
- Our congregational dialogues attracted a sizable portion of our congregation for which we were very pleased.
- We attracted 43 people from 32 households over the two dialogues.
- We also had 16 people at our ‘board and other leaders’ planning session, adding another 7 households, for a total of 39 households taking part in this phase.
- We are looking at how we can gather input online from other congregants who wanted to participate but were not able to join us.
- The sessions explored memorable, positive experiences in a synagogue, what makes Temple Beth Ora unique in Edmonton and common ground with other congregations, as well as characteristics of our rabbi and space, looking five years down the road.
- The results are informing the work of the Rabbinic Services Committee, Facilities, Membership, and Education, and the board as a whole. We will present a summary of the combined sessions at the AGM.
Q. What are our space plans?
- We are using the input from the congregational dialogues to guide our thinking about the space. We will bring the discussion to the Annual General Meeting for members to guide the board on the direction we should take regarding fund-raising, renovations, and timing.
Q. What will happen at the AGM on June 20?
- We plan to bring forward scenarios for our future rabbi and space and will invite congregants to provide direction, based on our priorities.
Thank you for your continuing support and input as we move forward in this process.
Rabbinic Services Committee